Wednesday 1 March 2017

Waterstones Pompey Bookseller Recommends - February

 photo C87E340C-5669-418D-A57D-F958C6E117AD_zpsa846dr0x.jpg


These are the books that we have recently read and loved:

Sharon: Nina is Not Ok by Shappi Khorsandi
Binny: Sweet Revenge by Jane Fallon
Emma: Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Kirsty: The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
Anna: Wind Pinball Haruki Murakami

Here's what Scott had to say about 'Oliver Twist' by Charles Dickens

"Having recently moved to Portsmouth, the birthplace of old Charlie himself, I've set myself the challenge of reading as many Dickens books as I can this year. I'm kicking off with Oliver Twist which is a story I thought I knew but have found to contain a lot more than I originally thought. The whole style is much darker and more complex than I expected and as always, Dickens' style of storytelling just immerses you fully into the bygone (but not forgotten) setting of Victorian London. It's a classic you can dip in and out of filled with characters that have become cultural giants - Dodger, Fagin, Nancy, Beadle and obviously the innocent angel faced Oliver himself - they're all in here and they're all fantastic to read."

Scott

No comments: