Thursday 5 September 2013

'Wool' & 'Shift' - The Silo Series by Hugh Howey





My Thoughts:

'Wool' and 'Shift', (#1-#8) kept me reading into the early hours even with flu. The opening chapter of  'Wool' was a real clincher.

Will not say too much about plot or characters as, in my opinion, the Silo series needs to be read in ignorance to get the full surprise impact, and have the mystery slowly revealed throughout the series. In brief it's about life and survival in a silo sometime in the future after a world wide catastrophic event.

Hugh has written an intelligent, engaging story with totally credible characters in an environment full of tension and intrigue. I felt many emotions ranging from dread, disbelief to excitement, fascination and relief. Hugh's descriptive style is perfect in bringing to life the world that his characters live in. The scenes played out vividly and effortlessly in my mind to such a degree that I hope I'm not disappointed with the film version whenever it comes out.

It may not be a 'hard core', 'hi-tech geeky' Sci-fi book and may not be suited to everyone but for fans of Dystopian fiction or for anyone who enjoys a really good story, I would wholeheartedly recommend it.

Gripping stuff.  Totally addictive.  Loved it !

I hope the energy and thrill of the ride will continue into the final phase in the series...Dust




No comments: